Project Name & Location:
Montgomery College Takoma Park Campus, Commons Building Renovation
7600 Takoma Ave, Takoma Park, MD 20812
51 Mannakee Street, Rockville, MD 20850
Project Completion Date:
The Commons Building at the Tacoma Park Campus of
Montgomery College has served as the campuses student
union and activity center for over 25 years. The college has
commissioned the redesign and remodeling of the entire
building the suit the current needs of the Tacoma Park
Campus. The redesign including several structural
components including a new two story addition with a
elevator shaft, addition of a new second floor in an existing
two story open space, significant roof remodeling and
structural steel façade work requiring new supports. The
building also received entirely new mechanical, electrical and
plumbing systems which required numerous openings in the
existing CMU walls, floor slabs, and metal roofing system.
SNG Engineering, Inc. was involved in this project as an
independent testing and inspection agency
for all structural inspections. The scope of work was as
1. Review of drawings and specifications prior to
2. Commercial field inspections including soils,
subgrade, footings, slabs, vertical columns, steel
reinforcement, structural steels, steel decks and roofs.
3. Concrete pour observation and testing including approving mix designs, cylinder testing, slump/unit
weight/pressure/and volumetric per ACI & ASTM standards.
4. Inspect and approve vertical and horizontal formwork.
5. Geo-technical testing at site and laboratory including standard & modified.
6. proctor, allowance, Atterberg limits and sieve analysis Steel connection inspections.
7. Preparation of inspection reports and certifications.
8. Structural and Geotechnical analysis and design for modifications due to site conditions or design