Project Name & Location:
Montgomery College, Takoma Park, West Parking Garage Special Inspections
7600 Takoma Ave, Takoma Park, MD 20812
51 Mannakee Street, Rockville, MD 20850
Project Completion Date:
SNG Engineering, Inc. has been commissioned by the Collegeas the Independent Testing and Inspection agency for thisproject. This project required SNG to use it geotechnical andstructural expertise to construct the parking garage in a veryconstricted space with an accelerated construction plan of sixmonths. SNG provided full time support for constructionmanagement, testing, inspections and on-site geotechnical andstructural design modification.
The parking garage is built on forty-three caissons ranging inwidth from three to six feet and in height from fifteen to thirtynine feet. The site also required SNG to perform soil analysis,compaction testing and fill monitoring in the subgrade
The Scope of work for the project is as follows:
- 1. Review of drawings and specifications prior to inspection
- 2. Geotechnical testing and inspections including soils
analysis and testing (proctors, Atterberg Limits, & Sieve
analysis), test borings, control fill monitoring, and nuclear
compaction testing, and verify USCS soil classification.
- 3. Commercial field inspections including soils, subgrade,
footings, slabs, vertical columns, steel reinforcement,
structural steels, steel decks and roofs.
- 4. Special Inspections for caissons including steel
reinforcement, plumbness, bottom elevation verification
and testing, and on site depth modification.
- 5. Concrete pour observation and testing including approving
mix designs, cylinder testing, slump/unit
weight/pressure/and volumetric per ACI & ASTM
- 6. Inspect and approve vertical and horizontal formwork
- 7. Geo-technical testing at site and laboratory including
standard & modified proctor, allowance, Atterberg limits
and sieve analysis.
- 8. Steel connection inspections.
- 9. Preparation of inspection reports and certifications
- 10. Structural and Geotechnical analysis and design for
modifications due to site conditions or design changes.